Google+

Featured Slider

Deeds Signed by Colonial Mayors of Philadelphia

      • Colonial Mayors

 

 

Deed for Land Now Part of Independence National Park

      • Independence National Park

 

 

19th Century Deed for Property in the Manayunk Section of Philadelphia

      • Manayunk

 

 

      • John Dunlap (Printer of Declaration of Independence)

 

 

Supreme Executive of Pennsylvania to Raise Money for the Revolutionary Army

      • Supreme Executive   (Note: Money goes to support Revolutionary Army)

 

 

Deed Signed by Joshua Lippincott, the Publisher

      • Joshua Lippincott (Publisher)

 

 

Deed for Center Square in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

      • Center Square

1784 Peter S Glentworth Diploma

      • (3) Diploma’s with ribbons 1784 to Peter Sonmans Glentworth
      • 1782 William Thompson, Lt. in Pennsylvania line to Peter S. Glentworth
      • 1784 Tammany ticket to Peter S. Glentworth

1784 Tammany Ticket and 1780 Philadelphia Goal Notice to Peter S. Glentworth

      • 1789 notice from Philadelphia Goal to Peter S. Glentworth
      • 1790 Deed from Isaac Franks to Peter S. Glentworth signed by Plunket Fleeson
      • 1865 (2) Medical Degrees signed by Doctors of University of Pennsylvania

Dr. Joseph Leidy Diploma

      • 1868 Deed signed by Dr. Joseph Leidy
      • 1754 Deed signed by Dr. Joseph Redman and wife

by James J. Reis

In May of 1772, 16 year old Mary “Polly” Masters married the Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania, 36 year old Richard Penn, the Grandson of Pennsylvania founder William Penn.
The Presidents House
The bride’s Mother, Mary Masters gave the bride and groom a “splendid city house” as a wedding present.  Located on High or Market Street, near 6th Street in Philadelphia.  The house eventually became the location of the Executive Mansion from 1790 to 1800, at which time the US Capital was moved to the Federal City, Washington, DC.

The Executive Mansion, the President’s House in Philadelphia was the Penn’s city house and later served as the Presidential Mansion for George Washington and John Adams from 1790 to 1800.  These 2 documents represent the receipt for the “deed of gift” and the surrender of the deed, and are dated 1775.

The history of the house is incredible as, during the Revolutionary War both General Sir William Howe and General Benedict Arnold lived in the house during their respective military commands in Philadelphia during the winter of 1777 and 1778.

The Penn’s owned the property until 1785 then sold it thru their attorney Tench Francis, to Robert Morris, the financier of the American Revolution.  Morris leased the property aka 190 High Street to George Washington and built himself a house next door at the corner of 6th and High Street for he and his wife.

Richard and Polly Penn returned to England in 1775, when the Continental Congress entrusted him with the Olive Branch Petition of King George III.  The Penn’s did not return to Philadelphia until 1808.

 

K-3Plan for 246,900 acres in Mason County, Kentucky along the Ohio River. Beautiful sketch of rivers and land in the Northwest Territories. Surveyed by General Thompson. (K-3)

LD-10Letter of Attorney concerning the establishment of the North American Land Company.   Signed by the first board of managers for the N.A.L.C. (Robert Morris, Joseph Ball, Thomas Fitzsimons, John Vaughan and John Nicholson). This relates to the N.A.L.C. and 6 million acres in 6 states and was notarized by John Mifflin as Governor. This is a magnificent document, which helped establish the N.A.L.C. and give James Marshall the authority to be an agent of N.A.L.C. in Europe.

NOTE:  Robert Morris, John Mifflin and Thomas Fitzsimons all signed the US Constitution. Also signed by James Trimble, Deputy Secretary of the N.A.L.C. and Governor of Pennsylvania. (LD-10)